How can I use sandblasting equipment in just 5 steps?
Last week my cousin asked me about how to properly use a sandblaster I was going to let to him. In general this technique is not very complex to use but you must follow some important steps to remove any dirt, paint or rust from a solid surface.
My sandblaster is not very big, but as y dad used to say “You don’t need a bigger blaster, just fill that one up more often.”
With my sandblaster, granules are forcefully projected with the use of a compressor. The impact of this material on the surface to be treated, originates the required effect: removing unwanted paint, dirt and other coatings from the surface of the target.
You must take some precautions when utilizing sandblaster equipment. If you properly follow them, maybe the result won´t be perfect (it all depends on your mastery), but you will achieve a very remarkable finish.
5 Steps to properly use sandblasting equipment.
- Unless you have a suitable sandblasting cabinet, I recommend you working outdoors. Adequate ventilation is a must when you work with a sandblaster. Besides I also recommend you creating an open environment around the piece to be treated. You must avoid any projected granule reach surrounding items. If it is necessary cover with plastic all near things, this way you will keep them in perfect condition.
- Personal safety first. Even when you work outdoors you must use gloves and sandblasting safety mask. Yeah! I know I can be a little bit paranoic, but personal safety is always the first thing for me.
- Now that safety is ok it`s time to begin the work. Previously to turning the compressor on you must check the sandblaster valves. These elements need to be clean and in perfect condition. Afterwards you must fill the tank with the sandblasting material suitable for your project. 90% of the projects can be completed with silica sand because it is a very versatile material.
- Turn the compressor on to create the desired pressure. Always follow the sandblaster manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations. Normally when the pressure reaches from 50 to 100 PSI it’s ready to start working. At first stage try to use a low pressure to check how react the surface to be treated. Just hold the sandblaster at a minimum of 8 inches from your body and start working.
- Try to always blast the surface from the top to the bottom. This way it is much easier to properly clean the item. Utilize wide sweeping motions. Don´t focus too much on small areas. For any other kind of purpose you can use short bursts of the sandblaster. Increase the pressure when you are at the final stage of your project.
If you carefully follow these 5 steps you will make any sandblasting work and what it’s more important; you will learn how to use sandblasting equipment.